printing problem with lpr on new Potato installation

I am using Potato with Lexmark 312 postscript laser
printer. I have successfully been able to print latex
documents using dvips which automatically pipes to
lpr. However when I try to use lpr directly for
instance to pipe result of ls or print a text file I
get the following message:

parport0:detected irq 7; use procfs to enable
interupt-driven operation.

Then the printer does operate but only the first line
is printed and the rest is blank.

Please email cc: of replies thank you.