Re: XFree 4.1 on Potato

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:02:45PM +1000, Penguin wrote:
> I have Potato 2.2r0. Unfortunately the unofficial debs for xserver-common
> 4.1, etc etc will not install. dpkg complains that xfree(86?)-common is only
> at 3.x version, when I need the 4.1 version. Why is this? I thought all those
> packages that installed xserver-common etc for XFree 4.1 was all I needed to
> get XFree 4.1 running so I could use my NVIDIA GeForce II MX400 64M AGP card.
>
> So, can anyone tell me what other debs I need to get this happening? dpkg
> apparently needs xfree-common or xfree86-common, whatever that is.

I suppose the unofficials debs you mentioned are the debs by Charl P.
Botha.

The only problem I had while upgrading my potato box to Xfree86 4.1
was a dependency problem on xbase-clients (which depends on libfreetype6).
But according to the READ.THIS file on
http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha there may be some other dependency
problems.

Here are the steps to upgrade to XFree86 4.1 on a potato box that
worked for me:

1.) install the version of libfreetype6 from
    http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/xf4_potato_debs/libfreetype6_potato

2.) add the following lines to sources.list:

    deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf410_potato/i386/
    deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf410_potato/all/

3.) apt-get update

4.) if you have an already running XFree86 3.3.x

    apt-get dist-upgrade

    should do the job.

5.) if you are installing XFree86 for the first time select the needed
    packages with dselect (configured with access method apt) - it will
    take care about dependencies

    or

    install one of the metapackages

    x-window-system-core (only the essential packages)
    x-window-system (a more complete X-Window system)

    via dselect or by apt-get install x-window-system

HTH
Andreas Schmidt