Re: bug in /etc/hosts: hostname in loopback address

Benjamin Low wrote:

> After just installing debian/unstable, I've found my /etc/hosts file
> contains the line
>
> 127.0.0.1  preston localhost
>
> This is invalid, the "hostname" address shouldn't be mapped to the
> loopback address. (I can provide authoratitive references stating as
> such, if required).

Funny, my unstable machines don't have that. I have this:

127.0.0.1  localhost loopback unix

I remember putting "unix" in there by hand, because some program was
failing due to an inability to resolve the name, which it obviously
expected to refer to localhost. I may have added "loopback" for the
same reason.

The name of my machine, however, is mapped to its actual IP address.

Craig