Re: gv: various font errors, "code 1 in findfont"

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 03:33:11 -0800, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I'm finding gv is almost unusable under Sid due to font errors, e.g.:
>

>     Error: /invalidfontGNU Ghostscript 6.51: Unrecoverable error, exit
>     code 1 in findfont
>     Operand stack:
>        F6_0   1   1   --nostringval--   Helvetica   Font   Helvetica
>        333398   Helvetica   --nostringval--   Courier   NimbusMonL-Regu
>        (NimbusMonL-Regu)   NimbusMonL-Regu   (NimbusMonL-Regu)
>        NimbusMonL-Regu
>     Execution stack:
>        %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
>        %--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
>        %--nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push
>        %1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2
>        %--nostringval--
>
> The file I'm attempting to read in this case (others produce similar
> errors) is:
>
>     http://www.fibrespeed.net/~mbabcock/mirrors/ukgovtoss.ps.gz
>
> gv/gs version:
>
>     gv package: Version: 1:3.5.8-22
>     gs package: Version: 6.51-5
>

> I've got a feeling this is related to font paths.  In my
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, I have the following fontpath lines:

Well, it wouldn't be the X font path ... See /etc/gs.Fontmap.  The
fontmap file shouldn't have full paths for standard PS fonts, as
ghostscript should known to look in /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts for
them.  I recall seeing some posts about setting a GS_LIB environment
variable.  It shouldn't be necessary, but perhaps the package was
built improperly (so gs doesn't know where to look for fonts)?

Course, I've been using the gs-aladdin package, and it looks like
apt wants to remove it in favor of gs-6.51-6 ...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>