Re: wwwoffle loading Newbie #61

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 07:56:19PM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 04:45:12PM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 09:14:39PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> > > OR, preferably, remove the startup links with
> > >
> > > update-rc.d -f wwwoffle remove
> > >
> > > The second approach at least allows you to stop or start wwwoffle manually.
> >
> > Well, the update-rc.d man page says that this will only work if
> > /etc/init.d/wwwoffle has also been removed.
>
> The -f switch to update-rc.d, as supplied above, overrides this sanity
> check.

Oops, sorry.  I should have RTWFM (whole).

> > And why can't we uninstall it without also uninstalling
> > task-dialup (via apt-get remove)?  Does anyone have any
> > advice on this?
>
> The dialup task includes wwwoffle, and therefore task-dialup depends on
> it. Removing the task-dialup package is harmless. The confusion you're
> experiencing here is one of the reasons why, in woody, tasks are no
> longer managed with packages and dependencies in this way.

But task-dialup contains ppp, fetchmail, anacron.... I was afraid
that un-installing task-dialup would also uninstall those.

But I was misunderstanding the dependencies, I guess.
task-dialup depends on them, not the other way around.

Still, shouldn't uninstalling task-dialup also uninstall them?
Imagine uninstalling task-dialup, hoping to do the inverse
of install task-dialup.

I guess that is the confusion you are talking about.

As for woody, I have it on order, awaiting its arrival with
baited breath!

Thank you for your patient understandable response.

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org