upgrading xfree86

Hi,
I am running 2.2r4 potato. i need to upgrade my x, since only xfree86 4.1.0
supports my video card(matrox g450). So, i am trying to upgrade all x related
package such as xserver-common, xbase-clients etc

when i do
"apt-get upgrade xbase-clients" i get the message 0 upgraded, 0 installed, 0
to remove and 299 not upgraded.
(before running the above command, i "did apt-get update" with
sources.list pointing to woody.)

i just wanted to see what would happen if i do a
"apt-get dist upgrade"
i get the message that xbase-clients, xdm, xf86setup etc will be removed.

i dont understand what is going on.
Could anyone pls. help?

thanks,
deva