Local imap from remote pop

I have accounts on several servers at my hosting service. I normally read my mail via ssh and elm. I would like to download my mail via POP and read it off a server in my house using IMAP.

Is it possible to do what I want, and can you tell me the basics of what I will need to do? I've never set up a mail server of any sort.

I would like to fetch the POP mail via an SSH tunnel. The usernames for the different accounts are in general different from any of the usernames I use on my local machines. It would probably be best to recieve mail on my own machine, but I don't have a static IP address - so I have to let the hosting service get my mail and use pop to retrieve it.

I am using unstable (I guess that's sid) on a PowerPC macintosh.

Thanks,

Mike Crawford
crawford@goingware.com
http://www.goingware.com/