Re: wwwoffle loading Newbie #61

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 09:14:39PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> On 2001.12.30 20:21 Ian Balchin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My default installation, console mode only, installed woffle.
> >
> > bjb@achilles suggested that I change the names in the /etc/rc?.d files
> > from, say, @S20wwwoffle to, say, @s20wwwoffle which I did.
> >
> > However, watching top while I did my wvdial/ppp/exim/fetchmail email run
> > I was suprised to see wwwoffle spring to the fore.  I checked my renaming
> >
> > of the links and all was correct. I had not renamed the @K links assuming
> >
> > this would not be a problem.
> >
> > What is happening here, how can wwwoffle be disabled short of
> > uninstalling it?
> >

> You can do that in either of two ways.
>
> Put this in the script /etc/init.d/wwwoffle on a line by itself, after the
> line that has #!/bin/sh
>
> exit 0
>

> OR, preferably, remove the startup links with
>
> update-rc.d -f wwwoffle remove
>

> The second approach at least allows you to stop or start wwwoffle manually.

Well, the update-rc.d man page says that this will only work if
/etc/init.d/wwwoffle has also been removed.

Ian, moving the S20wwwoffle link to s20wwwoffle will only have
an effect when you reboot.  If you want to turn off wwwoffle
before your reboot, you can do:

/etc/init.d/wwwoffle stop

Ie, run the /etc/init.d/wwwoffle program on the command line
with "stop" as an argument

Anyone, wtf is this wwwoffle thing anyway?  I don't have a man
page or an info page for it, and there is nothing in /usr/share/doc.
(Ok, google says wwwoffle homepage is http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk,
and it's the World Wide Web Offline Explorer).
And why can't we uninstall it without also uninstalling
task-dialup (via apt-get remove)?  Does anyone have any
advice on this?

I read somewhere about it being for web use.  Why would
it be triggered on a fetchmail call?

Hmm, maybe it's being triggered by ip-up.  Ian, look in
your /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory for a related script.
Although I don't find anything related in my system.
Then again, maybe my attempts to remove wwwoffle succeeded,
in spite of my request to abort the removal after finding
that task-dialup was also slated for removal.

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org