ADAPTEC 2040U2W PROBLEM (nothing helps...)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Mackinney" <paul@mackinney.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: ADAPTEC 2040U2W PROBLEM

> nate muttered:
> > <quote who="JM Vainio">
> > > Hello!
> >
> > > scsi bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> > > scsi host 0 channel 0 reset (pid17) timed out - trying harder
> > > scsi bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> > > scsi host 0 abort (pid17) timed out - resetting
> > > scsi bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> > > (scsi0:0:0:0) device reset, message buffer in use
> > > Is anyone here familiar with this kind of issues?
> > yep i had that occur on my 2 intel ISP2150 servers.
> > the workaround is to tell the driver not to reset
> > the card, its a kernel option you type when you
> > boot the system at the boot: prompt. navigate through
> > the help screens and it will be there, its something
> > like
> >
> > aic78xxx=no_reset
> >
> If your card is like mine, there are some options you can configure at
> boot by typing Ctrl-A, one of them has something to do with allowing
> resets.

Well, I did find some kind of option like that, from the SCSI controlle
BIOS, and I tried it.

I am not quite sure whether you meant the same thing, but the result was
just the same. But then there was one additional strange thing when I tried
this option with no bootable SCSI harddisk connected (just having the CDrom,
CDrw and Zip drive in the SCSI bus). The installer just halted, with the
message saying the following:

unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 336a3035
current->tss.cr3=00101000,%cr3=00101000*poe=00000000
Oops: 0000
Cpu: 0
EIP: 0010:[<c01ed437>]
EFLAGS : 00010046
eax : 336a302e ebx

...and then there was quite a long litany of codes, ending into the message:

Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In swapper task - not syncing

...and then the whole system halted.

Regards: Janne M. Vainio, Helsinki, Finland