VIM features

Hello,

I would like to see more user feedback on Debian's settings of the
VIM editor. Currently, two important features are disabled in the
default configurations: Syntax highlighting and special intending
schemes. The question is: why?
Some (influent) people want to make VIM behave as the "normal" vi.
But does this make sense? VIM is either installed as the "default"
vi, nor does it have more priority in the "alternatives" entry.
Additionaly, many packages suggest nvi, so it is often installed as the
first vi editor and people often do not come in touch with vim.

NOTE: this is not a start of a new holy war. I do not ask for giving
vim's alternatives-entry a higher priority or so. I just want to use all
VIM's features when I initially install it, without looking into my
big config to enable intending or editing the vimrc file to enable
highlighting.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
"Computer sind nicht logisch, Windows98 auch nicht und beides zusammen,
NaJaaa"                                       Mirko @ NBCGIGA 13.7.1999