Must I have an `alias char-major-14 off' line?

My syslog has

Jan  1 11:29:47 rakefet modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-14
Jan  1 11:29:48 rakefet last message repeated 2 times

from time to time.

Although I have not tried it yet, I believe having the line

alias char-major-14 off

in /etc/modutils/aliases and running update-modules will eliminate it.

Yet I wonder why do I get these lines in the first place? In
particular, I have the following in /etc/modules.conf:

# alias char-major-14             sb
# options adlib_card io=0x388                                  # FM
synthesizer
# options sb         io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
# options sbpcd      0x230,SoundBlaster

So why does modprobe -c has in its output the line:

alias char-major-14 soundcore

?

Another questions is about the frequency that these syslog messages get
written. Is it done every time the shell is ringing the bell?
--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(at-no-spam)bezeqint.net