Re: Please help! New Potato install

I just finished installing Potato v. 2.2r3.  My motherboard is the Intel
815EEA, and X recognizes neither the onboard video nor my ATI Radeon 64MB
DDR AGP.  Am I correct in saying that I have to upgrade to Woody in order to
take advantage of my video card, or can I simply install xFree86 4.1/4.2?

Jason,
you should be able to get X working at least with an svga server, but I guess that an ATI server will work as well. Try XF86Setup to create a working XF86Config file.

Also, should I upgrade my kernel to 2.4, or should that even matter?
(Please bear with me; I'm from the Windows world, where the newest is the
least unreliable)

This should not be necessary although kernel 2.4 is reliable.

Also, I understand that my modem(Creative Modem Blaster 56K PCI model
DI5630) doesn't function under Linux because it's just another Winmodem.
Has anyone heard of any ways to get this device to function under Linux?  If
not, that's alright because I've got a 33.6 external in the mail.

Search Google for your modem or have a look at www.linmodems.org. Plenty of people had the same problems like you and they managed to solve them.

Thanks for your help!

Jason Machacek

Frank