Re: Foul language on debian lists (was Re: Spam impersonating me (was Re: Spam: the last straw))

Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net> writes:

> I think Karsten is wrong here. There is a "Code of Conduct" section
> on http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/ that prohibits the use of
> foul language.  Let me quote
>
> "Do not use foul language; besides, some people receive the lists
> via packet radio, where swearing is illegal."
>
> I remebered that since it was a striking example of how authors of
> webb pages should not make assumptions about the means by which the
> reader is accessing that material (i.e. Don't rely on images for
> navigation, don't use tables to solve layout problems)

But here it is not about format, but about content. And please tell me
in which country swearing on packet radio is illegal. US? Might
be. Other countries? Probably not.

And this limitation is not one imposed by the medium, but by some
stupid[1] law.

OT: Do you have any links to judicial decisions as to the
constitutionality of that "no swearing on packet radio" law?

[1] Is that a swear word?