Foul language on debian lists (was Re: Spam impersonating me (was Re: Spam: the last straw))

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 03:17:23PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:54:10PM -0500, DvB (dvanbalen@jam.rr.com) wrote:
>

> > P.S. I was informed off-list that the debian-user list policy prohibits
> > the use of symbols to represent profanity. I'm ashamed to say that I
> > wasn't aware of this and apologize to anyone who may've been offended by
> > my use of such "obscured cussing" at the beginning of my message... I was
> > kind of ticket off when I wrote it.
>
> Fuck that shit.
>
> Informed by whom?  There's no notice of such a policy on the Debian
> website.  The only list policies I'm familiar with are open/closed
> subscription, moderation, and the advertising policy:

> That said, people should generally avoid profanity if at all fucking
> possible.

I think Karsten is wrong here. There is a "Code of Conduct" section on
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/ that prohibits the use of foul language.
Let me quote

"Do not use foul language; besides, some people receive the lists via packet
 radio, where swearing is illegal."

I remebered that since it was a striking example of how authors of webb pages
should not make assumptions about the means by which the reader is accessing
that material (i.e. Don't rely on images for navigation, don't use tables to
 solve layout problems)

/Hans Ekbrand