Upgrade problem with kernel and modutils

I was trying to upgrade my system the other day and apt-get upgrade
first tells me that my modutils can't be configured since my kernel
sturcture has changed.  I figured nothing of but now it's not just
modutils it's initrd-tools and modconf as well.  I tried upgrading to a
new kernel kernel-image-2.4.12-686.  But I can't install this since it
requires a newer modutils .... I'm  having a little circular dependancy
problem ... how do I get modutils, initrd-tools, modconf and a new
kernel image to install?  When modutils requires a newer kernel and a
newer kernel requires modutils?

I'm Running unstable with 2.4.9 kernel

Kyle