Re: Advice on creating a workstation

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 01:29:16PM +0300, russirv@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I do voluntary work in a place where members of
> the public come to use computers, drink tea and
> coffee, read newspapers ...
>
> Usually we use windows but I have decided to
> experiment with linux workstation (dual booting
> with win2000).
>
> I really want to restrict users to browsing the www,
> using some office apps, accessing some other systems
> using some SSH type app, printing ...
>
> Does anyone have any words of advica to give before
> I embark on my journey (links to sources of info
> welcome).
>
> At the moment I am deciding how to partition the
> hard disk - I have reserved 4GB for linux.

Check out the Kiosk HOWTO -
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kiosk-HOWTO.html

Also there are patches and a HOWTO to lock down the KDE browser.  I have
the link at work.  I can shoot it to you Monday if you can't find it.
It isn't at linuxdoc.org.
hth,
kent

--
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
   same level of thinking we were at when we created them."