Re: file conflicts between packages

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> This is mixviews violating X policy. Check if there is a bug open and if not
> file one.

Are you sure? It seems strange. app-defaults is a directory, not a file.
I would have thought that any X application's package could put a file
in there. Is it really the sole property of the xlibs package?

> In general one of the packages is wrong an deserves a bug. Always check if
> the bug is known about already though. if you need to install the package
> despite the conflict there are dpkg commands for that see its manpage and
> --help.

Specifically: dpkg -i --force-overwrite filename.deb

Another possibility when there is a file conflict between packages
(though it isn't applicable here) is that the file may have been moved
from one package to another. In that case, upgrading both packages will
generally resolve the problem. dpkg may complain about a conflict,
depending on what order it upgrades the packages, but if you retry the
failed package after the other successfully upgrades, the problem
doesn't recur.

Craig