Re: kernel compile problems

At 3:31 PM -0500 8/10/01, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
Pulling this out of a hat but see if you can break the arguments of it
into two lines and then make the second one append ">>" into .hdepend

--mike

On 10 Aug 2001 15:27:16 -0500, Ian Marlier wrote:
 Just finished installing Potato on my iBook, and now I'm trying to
 buildd BenH's 2.4 kernel (which has AirPort support and a working
 Powerbook ethernet driver, among other things).

 Did "make config", went through the whole she-bang, that all worked fine.

 Did "make dep" and about halfway through got the following error
 message (the line that begins "find..." is shortened considerably):

 "scripts/mkdep -- `find /root/benh-ker....` > .hdepend
 /bin/sh: scripts/mkdep: Argument list too long
 make: *** [dep-files] Error 126"

 It's pretty clear to me that the last line being executed by
 scripts/mkdep is too long, and that's what the machine is tripping
 over.  What's not clear to me is how I can fix it.  Any
 thoughts/ideas?

 > - Ian

Hrm...this is what I was planning to do, but mkdep isn't a shell script -- it's a C file that (I guess) gets compiled on the fly to pull in the config variables. So there isn't a line somewhere that I can just cut in half...

The other problem is that almost the entire line that's causing the problem is one find command (it searches for a file in 4 or 5 directories, then does stuff to the result).

Ian

--

ian@onepost.net
773 667 2550

Eventually all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.