PPP configuration and routing problem

I recently did a fresh install of Debian on a machine which serves
as the internet gateway for my lan.  The version installed was
Debian2.2R2.  This machine is a dial-up gateway and
ip-masquerader for my other machines.  The problem is that when
I initiate a connection with PON, the PPP0 interface is not properly
configured.  Route -n shows the ppp0 configured with the same
local and remote IP addresses as shown in options.ttyS1.  I have
used the options 'noipdefault' and 'defaultroute', but the tables
are not correctly updated.  Viewing the syslog shows that
negotiation takes place, and IP addresses are assigned by the
ISP.  I have read the latest Linux PPP HOWTO from
http://www.linuxdoc.org in case of recent changes, but I can't find
what I've done wrong.  Can someone please help?  I'll gladly send
any config files and scripts for perusal.

Thanks much,
   Russ