Re: MB suggestions?

Matti Airas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded my desktop motherboard and processor to ASUS A7A266
> (ALi MaGiK 1) and Athlon 1200 MHz. However, it seems I didn't do my
> background research well enough - ALi MaGiK won't play together with
> my BT878-based Hauppauge TV tuner card. The computer hangs completely
> always when I try to launch XawTV. However, I probably will still be
> able to exchange the MB to another model.
>
> What should the new motherboard (or more specifically, the chipset)
> be? The criteria for me are:
>
> - supports Athlon 1200 MHz with 266 MHz FSB
> - supports SDR SDRAM
> - supports my Hauppauge WinTV PCI TV tuner card (bt878-chip)
> - works flawlessly with Linux (of course)
> - is stable
> - gives most bang for the buck (of course)
>
> The store I've been using seems to carry mostly VIA KT133 -based
> boards. Would getting one be a horrible mistake? How about the ones
> with an integrated Promise RAID controller? They would give a relative
> abundance of IDE channels, but would it be worth it?
>
> I've been eyeing on an Asus A7V133 WA or Abit KT7A-100 Raid. Would
> they do the job?
>
> Any advice or opinions would be welcome.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Matti Airas

For some weeks now I have an Asus A7M266, with Athlon1200 and 512 MB
DDR-SDRAM. I don't know about the onboard SCSI-components, because I'm
using an IDE-only system. The onboard sound works very well for me, and
the system was never unstable. The only thing is a hardware problem(?)
with the GeForce 2 GTS (Asus v7700 w/64MB DDR-Ram). If the graphics
aperture size in BIOS is >32 MB, system freezes (don't know why)

hth

joerg

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.