Re: Promise IDE ATA-100 controller on ASUS A7V133

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Brutsche" <pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu>
To: "David Grant" <dgrant3@attglobal.net>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: Promise IDE ATA-100 controller on ASUS A7V133

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> > I have an ASUS A7V133 with PDC20265 on-board IDE as well as the standard
> > on-board VIA controller.  I am trying to install Debian potato 2.2r3.  I
> > need to get it to install from the on-board Promise IDE controller.  I
tried
> > using the boot: parameter with these parameters, which I retrieved from
> > Windows 98 device manager resources:
>
> The default Debian kernel doesn't support this hard drive controller.
> You need to use the pre-compiled idepci kernel (it's on the CD somplace),
> or install with the idepci floppies to be able to use this card.
>
> Also, if this is a IDE "RAID" card Linux won't be able to see the second
> port on the controller card.

Oh okay.  Yeah the website says there are many kernels in the potato
distribution.  Among the most recent 2.2.19 kernels are the following:

kernel-image-2.2.19-idepci 2.2.19-2
kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-idepci 2.2.19pre17-3

Weird, why'd they bother including 2.2.19pre17?  So do I just install these
like regular deb packages right?  And then if Linux boots and sees my ide2,
I'll have to update fstab with hde instead of hda.  Do you know how I can
get ide-pci floppies to install with?

Thanks.
David Grant