Re: laptop and linux: any dangers?

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 01:06:22AM +0200,  wrote:
> I plan to purchase a notebook that shall run debian GNU/Linux. My
> question: do I have to take care on special features? I do not expect to

General precautions to set up notebook PC for Linux.

PCMCIA is started as a part of regular init script in each script.  This
means all your etwork related configuration needs to be doneafter this.
Usually it is done within PCMCIA module.  ipmasq ins one to watch.
(I have 2 NICs for my firewall.)

Another thing is PCMCIA is started by cardmgr which is started and
becomes daemon process.  So some of the configuration is in progress
even after script to start PCMCIA is finished.

This sometimes causes trouble.  Putting sleep after starting PCMCIA may
help in some case. In other case, changing order of init script helped
(gpm <->pcmcia).

For Modem/USB Karsten had good review.

Do not start X with gdm/kdm/xdm,...  Just stck with startx untill you
completely configure system.

It is generally more work than desktop Linux install.  But I do not know
any 486+ which can not run Linux.

Good luck :-)

IBM TP 230Cs (i486 DX4 50MHZ 20MB RAM, Japanese A4 size) here w/ potato.
--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +