Re: USB and Printer problems

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:01:39 +0100
Roland Hinkley <roland@painswick.idps.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been away from Linux and Debian for a while. I am now running a
> 'Woody' system.
>
> I have an Epson USB printer attached which I would like to use.
>
> I have read the documents I can find on USB in general and USB printers
> in particular.

Are you aware that Epson in Japan have written Linux drivers for many of
their printers? The print quality is equal to that of the Windows drivers,
and the latest version has a utility to show ink levels and to allow you
to clean the cartridge nozzles, do alignment checks etc.. Wonderful!

I simply installed the .rpm version of the driver -

rpm -Uvh --nodeps pips-sc680_777-2.1-1.i386.rpm

If I remember correctly, the rpm install runs the setup program which
sorts out your /etc/printcap for you and allows you to specify the port
etc..

The driver is at: http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/pips_e.html

--
Phillip Deackes