Re: woody became unusable - how to recover

on Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 04:14:16PM -0300, Miguel Griffa (mgriffa@technisys.com.ar) wrote:

> At 11:21 a.m. 26/07/01 -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >on Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 10:37:36AM -0300, Miguel Griffa
> >(mgriffa@technisys.com.ar) wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >       I'm having a serious problem with my woody installation at
> > > home. The system freezed, and when I rebooted, fsck reported
> > > problems.

<...>

> > > The question:
> > > Is there any way I could reinstall programs without reconfiguration?
> >
> > From your system backups.  You have system backups, right?
>
> not system but data and some cfg (X, specially)...
> I'm thinking that I'll better reinstall...

See the backup suggestions in the webpage previously cited.  With your
local data (/home, /usr/local), configuration data (/etc), package
lists, and a few other odd parts, you should be able to get back on your
feet much more quickly than by having to roll everything back by hand
from a fresh reinstall.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!