Re: laptop and linux: any dangers?

on Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 01:06:22AM +0200, bounce-debian-user=kmself=ix.netcom.com@lists.debian.org (bounce-debian-user=kmself=ix.netcom.com@lists.debian.org) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I plan to purchase a notebook that shall run debian GNU/Linux. My
> question: do I have to take care on special features? I do not expect
> to get all running, but I require X-Window and Ethernet to run on my
> Linux box, perhaps sound. Any comments basing on your experiences?
> What products/single compnents to avoid???
>
> Two in my closer choice (the products names are for germany, I dunno
> foreign names for equal models):
>
> Toshiba Satellite 3000-100 with nVidia Geforce 2 GO, PIII
> Compaq Presario 1211EA with ATI M1, Athlon4

No specifics on your candidates.

General issues with laptops from my and anecdotal experience:

  - APM and power management features.  I've not been able to get
    sleep/suspend to work since tweaking my box at some point, it comes
    back up.  I've also found I had to disable "SpeedStep" (aka
    Geyserville) CPU speed stepping, which lets the CPU run more slowly
    when on battery than AC.  This was causing kernel panics and hard
    lockups.

  - Modems.  The Lucent WinModem chipset *is* supported, but with a
    binary-only AFAIK.  I've opted for a PCMCIA modem instead.

  - USB/FireWire.  You can probably get them to work, but may have to
    tweak things a bit.

Those were the biggies.  98% of what I want to work, works.  Having
GNU/Linux with me wherever I got simply rocks.

My hardware:  the Compal 20U OEMed by TuxTops, now available via QLItech
(http://www.qlitech.com/) or ChemBook.  Aside from a flakey power port,
no problems with the unit, and it's an excellent mix of small and light,
but still full-featured with a reasonable (1024x768) display and good
keyboard feel.

Cheers.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!