Re: TeX fonts

Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> writes:
CF> You *really* can't do LaTeX without the real book "LaTeX, A
CF> document preparation system" by Lamport. At least that has been my
CF> experience in twenty odd years of TeXing.  And if you're into very
CF> arcane type setting you can't do without "The" ultimate "TeXbook",
CF> by Knuth himself, either.

These days I mostly find myself using _A Guide to LaTeX_, 3rd
Ed. (Helmut Kopka and Patrick W. Daly, Addison-Wesley, 1999, ISBN
0-201-39825-7).  It seems to have all of the useful material from the
Lamport book, along with useful extracts from _The LaTeX Companion_.
When I've looked at it, it's seemed like the _Companion_ has mostly
duplicated information available in packages' documentation files
(under /usr/share/texmf/doc).  I originally got started with "The Not
So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e (Or LaTeX2e in 87 Minutes)", which is
in /usr/share/texmf/doc/latex/general/lshort.dvi.gz.

This, the TeXbook, and a printed and bound copy of the LaTeX2e source
gets me along just fine.  But then, I probably have several thousand
TeXperience points, which probably makes my perspective not quite so
useful for a beginner.  :-)

	-- Abra Mitchell