Re: CD-RW Question...

It's worth noting that the stock kernel can do this without being recompiled

just run modconf.

John

At 05:55 PM 7/25/01 -0500, Scott Adair wrote:
>To make a CD-RW work, you have to recompile your kernel to include SCSI-Emulation.
>Unless this is done, you won't be able to burn.
>
>I have a HP 9510i and it works great, haven't made a coaster yet. I use the Verbatium
>media, rated at 16x record speed.
>
>Really good CD Bruning software is, xcdroast (apt-get install xcdroast) www.xcdroast.org
>Check out the FAQ section, they have a link to the CD-Writing HOWTO and how to
>configure SCSI-Emulation (pretty easy if you are familiar with compiling a kernel).
>
>This is a list of all supported CD-R/RW drives:
>http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdwriters-1.9.html
>
>Hope that helps..
>
>* Aaron Traas (adt6247@njit.edu) wrote:
>> I have a question... Could someone please recommend a reliable IDE/ATAPI
>> CD-RW that works out-of-the-box with Debian? Like, something I could
>> just plug in and start burning. Also, I'd like one that isn't too picky
>> about different brands of media. The Ricoh in my Win98 box isn't that
>> reliable, and doesn't like Memorex and other common brands of CD-R
>> blanks.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> --Aaron
>>

>> --
>>
> -= Scott Adair =-
>scott-adair@home.com
>

>--

WARNING -
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material.
If you are not the intended recipient of Capital Monitor's original e-mail,
please notify me by return e-mail, delete your copy of the message, and
accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Republication or re-dissemination, including posting to news groups or web
pages, is strictly prohibited without the express prior consent of Capital
Monitor Pty Ltd.

John Griffiths			Tel 02 6273 4899
Capital Monitor Pty Ltd		Fax 02 6273 4905
Press Gallery 			Mobile: 0412 690 643
Parliament House		e-mail: john@capmon.com
Canberra   ACT   2600		http://www.capmon.com
Australia			ICQ No: 7933859