Re: remote administration methods

on Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 12:33:05AM +0200, Martin F. Krafft (madduck@madduck.net) wrote:
> hi guys,
> i am interested in hearing how other people handle remote
> administration of multiple servers - with multiple admins. currently,
> we maintain 8 servers worldwide (all debian of course). the problem is
> that sometimes the connections across the atlantic are so bad that a
> vi session on the remote side - and if it's just to change a CNAME
> record for bind - is impossible because a character takes 30 seconds
> to be echoes to the terminal.
>
> so at the moment, we work with rsync and a local copy of the files.
> however, this requires discipline and it's not ideal - we all want
> something CVS like which can coordinate multiple admins, merge changes
> in a CVS-smart way, and then tell the remote system to cvs update
> once every hour. however, it doesn't seem to work with CVS because CVS
> does not preserve the permissions.
>
> however, i am thinking that there has to be a tool out there, because
> there is a UNIX tool for everything, and the problem i am experiencing
> is surely shared by hundreds of admins...
>
> if you manage multiple remote servers, and possible share that job
> with a couple others, how do you coordinate it all?

Have you looked at bitkeeper (http://www.bitkeeper.com/)?  This is an
almost-free software versioning system which addresses several
weaknesses of CVS and might suit your needs.  Larry McVoy is also pretty
keen on distributed processing issues.

File permissions and such might also be handled by a secondary script
which keeps a list of settings and applies them following updates.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!