Re: Carriage return in email headers, body, possibly Netcom problem

on Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 09:44:16AM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:03:58PM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> > I've noticed this since about 5 am, PDT, Sunday, 22 July.
> >
> > Mail arriving since this time (and the time demarcation is pretty clean)
> > has carriage returns (^M) appended to the end of each header line, e.g.:
> >
> >     Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 08:49:58 -0500^M
> >     From: Jeffrey Franks <jfranks@quik.com>^M
> >     Subject: DOCBOOK: DocBook table example modified for XML is broke for me.^M
> >     To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org^M
> >
> > Is anyone else seeing this?  Any ideas on a Debian cause?  I'm running
> > mutt, exim, and procmail under Sid.  IIRC, I was asleep at the point the
> > switch occured, suspect it could be something outside my system,
> > including possibly my ISP.
> >
> > This appears to be effecting a few of my procmail recipies as well.
>
> Additional info.

Additional additional info:

See the 'stripcr' option in fetchmail.  I've added this to my
.fetchmailrc as follows:

    # Configuration created Mon Nov 29 01:51:44 1999 by fetchmailconf
    # ...before it bombed out and I munged it by hand.  -Karsten
    set postmaster "postmaster"
    set bouncemail
    set properties ""

    # Strip carriage returns from lines.

    # This grabs my netcom mail
    poll popd.ix.netcom.com protocol POP3
           user "kmself" password "XXXX" is karsten here
           options fetchall no keep stripcr
                                    ^^^^^^^

Still trying to work out what changed.  There's nothing in the fetchmail
changlogs to suggest a difference.  I'm still leaning toward an ISP mod,
though I'm no longer convinced it's a bug.

Cheers.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!