Re: Carriage return in email headers, body, possibly Netcom problem

on Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:03:58PM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> I've noticed this since about 5 am, PDT, Sunday, 22 July.
>
> Mail arriving since this time (and the time demarcation is pretty clean)
> has carriage returns (^M) appended to the end of each header line, e.g.:
>
>     Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 08:49:58 -0500^M
>     From: Jeffrey Franks <jfranks@quik.com>^M
>     Subject: DOCBOOK: DocBook table example modified for XML is broke for me.^M
>     To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org^M
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?  Any ideas on a Debian cause?  I'm running
> mutt, exim, and procmail under Sid.  IIRC, I was asleep at the point the
> switch occured, suspect it could be something outside my system,
> including possibly my ISP.
>
> This appears to be effecting a few of my procmail recipies as well.

Additional info.

It's not just header lines, but the entire mail message which has
carriage returns appended to it.

Actually, not quite the entire message.  I'm attaching a sample email
message I just generated from this machine.  Hmmm...OK, I'm going to do
one that's local-delivery only.  2nd try is the charm.

Ho!  No carriage returns.  Attached.  Subjects:

    - "Carriage return test":  locally generated, smarthosted via ISP
    - "Carriage return test -- local delivery":  locally generated and
      delivered.

Anyone who's good at header/email dissection care to comment on this and
let me know if my assessment appears to be correct:  this is my ISP's
fault?  Any idea on RFC 822/2822 specs on inclusion of carriage returns
in email linefeeds?

Any corrective procmail recipies or similar suggested?

Cheers.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!
--- Begin Message ---
This is a test message

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---