New device names after kernel update from 2.2 to 2.4

Hi,

I have a general question about the possibility of
updating from 2.2.18 to a 2.4.x kernel without
reinstalling everything. A lot of things changed in
the new release and I just wanted to know if updating
in this case means a complete new installation or if
it is just another make, dep, clean, bzImage... etc.
as it used to be for 2.2.x updates.

As far as I know, some block device names changed with
the 2.4 kernel, so I wonder if that changes a lot.
Maybe some changed/added simlinks fix the problem.

Also, is it possible to have a 2.2 and a 2.4 kernel on
one machine and let lilo either boot one or the other?

Herbert