Re: [OT] Making images from CDs

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 01:19:24PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> > Now, a tougher problem:  I received an "Input/output error" while trying
> > to copy a CD to an image file (using xcdroast, and I also got the error
> > while trying dd).  I tried another CD and it worked fine, so I'm
> > guessing the problem is the particular CD.  The CD does work fine,
> > however.  So, what I'm wondering is whether or not there is anyway
> > around such an error, or whether it would be worthwhile to go ahead and
> > burn the resulting image and hope it works.
>
> Are you sure it really is fine?  Run:
>
>   find /dev/cdrom -type f -exec cat {} \> /dev/null \;
>
> And watch the system console or log for errors.

Hmm, I tried that and received no output at all.  (Yes, /dev/cdrom is
symlinked correctly and the CD is in the drive.)  It just gives me
another command prompt, and I don't seem to still have a find process
running.

--
Thomas J. Hamman
"There are persons who have resolved all these questions; which once