sshd and telnetd startup time

Hello,

I just installed Debian on an older Pentium 120MHz machine.

It takes forever to connect to this machine via telnet or SSH.
I suspect it is because the respective servers has to start up
when a connection request is recieved. There is, however,
little or no activity on the machine while a connection request
is in progress.

I would like to try to keep the servers in memory at all
times to see if that speeds up connection times. A little
bit like running smbd and nmbd from daemons instead of
from inetd Could the same thing be done for sshd and
telnetd? And if so, how?

- IT