Re: Display managers

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 06:22:50PM -0700, Geoffrey Romer wrote:
> What's the surgeon-general-approved way of disabling a display-manager (e.g.
> kdm, gdm, xdm)? I know I could just delete the relevant symlinks from
> /etc/rc*.d, but I have a feeling that package upgrades and things like that
> will just restore them. I'd prefer not to uninstall the package entirely,
> because then I'll lose the task- package that gave it to me in the first
> place.

If you leave at least one of the kill "k" links in place the package
manager won't mess with /etc/rc*d.  Take a look at the man-page for
"update-rc.d" if you don't know about it already.  Last time I used
it I just removed the start links, iirc.  There is a "-n" switch which
allows you to play with it until you're sure what you want to do.
hth,
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted