remote administration methods

hi guys,
i am interested in hearing how other people handle remote
administration of multiple servers - with multiple admins. currently,
we maintain 8 servers worldwide (all debian of course). the problem is
that sometimes the connections across the atlantic are so bad that a
vi session on the remote side - and if it's just to change a CNAME
record for bind - is impossible because a character takes 30 seconds
to be echoes to the terminal.

so at the moment, we work with rsync and a local copy of the files.
however, this requires discipline and it's not ideal - we all want
something CVS like which can coordinate multiple admins, merge changes
in a CVS-smart way, and then tell the remote system to cvs update
once every hour. however, it doesn't seem to work with CVS because CVS
does not preserve the permissions.

however, i am thinking that there has to be a tool out there, because
there is a UNIX tool for everything, and the problem i am experiencing
is surely shared by hundreds of admins...

if you manage multiple remote servers, and possible share that job
with a couple others, how do you coordinate it all?

micro$oft windoze: proof that p. t. barnum was correct.