lilo problems

I am completely new to debian and linux for that matter and I was just installing it on one of my other computers. Now I want to make it a dual boot system. The only problem is I can't use X because I dont have a supported video card. So... how do I edit lilo.conf from the starting command prompt? I tried using vi /etc/lilo.conf but apparently that file doesnt exist anywhere on the system. Is there some other way to do this?

Thanks for putting up with my newb stupidity
---Dan