agpgart, mga and Matrox G400 woes: resolution

I'm following up on my own post of a day or two ago, because a Google
search suggests that the problem I asked about is quite a common one.

It was this: under X 4.0.3 (debian testing) I couldn't get hardware
acceleration enabled for my Matrox G400. The problem was that the
kernel module `agpgart' wouldn't load (because, I think, of an
unrecognized chip). That meant in turn that the `mga' module (which
depends on `agpgart') wouldn't load.

I did two things to solve this (which means, unfortunately, that I
don't know which was crucial): I upgraded to kernel 2.4.6, and I set
the CONFIG_AGP_VIA option in the kernel configuration.

Now `agpgart.o' loads without complaint, `mga.o' loads without
complaint, and direct rendering is enabled.

Hope this helps somebody,

Jim