modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135 (daemon.log)

I have tracked this down to the point that I know it is an alias for the
real time clock, and that it only occurs soon after switching to run-level 6
and run-level 0.  I also know that the alias exists in two files, that I
know of; /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modutils/arch/i386.  Removing the alias
from i386 has no effect.

I have seen a few people suggesting that I should edit modules.conf, but the
modules.conf file has comments stating that it should never be edited
manually.  Is it either safe or effective to manually edit this file?  If
not the modules.conf file, then which file do I edit to affect this
workaround until I can compile rtc in the kernel?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- gladimir