Re: console beep

At 14:06 Uhr +0200 6.7.2001, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
also sprach Christian Jaeger (on Fri, 06 Jul 2001 01:50:41PM +0200):
 1. switch off console beep (internal pc speaker) in gnome-terminal
 (or alltogether). Or let gnome-terminal issue a sound to esd /
 /dev/dsp / whatever, so as to let one control volume.

xset b 0

Thanks!

 > 2. let the internal speaker beep through a remote command (so that I
 can login from remote, and let the speaker beep until a person sits
 down to the computer, logs in and answers my 'talk' request).

echo ^G    (that's ctrl-v,g - i.e. hold control and then press v and g
            in succession)

this does not work over an SSH connection that has X forwarding AFAIK
if you xset b 0 locally.

This doesn't work even with X forwarding disabled. It just prints a silent '^G' to the screen. Normal Ctrl-g does beep on the client side only, of course.

Christian.