Re: locked out of my own system (was: HELP!!!)

hi ya vestor

yu get the "/etc/nologin" file created during shutdown ...
and upon reboot...or shutdown... it is NOT cleaning up after itself...

if you pulled the power on it or something odd... it is not yet
able to resync itself... gotta keep rebooting n-times till it works right

try init 6, shutdown -rf now, halt, etc  to get the /etc/nologin
process to clean itself up

guess that means at least 6-12 reboots into single user mode and
regular root logins etc... till it resyncs...

disabling /etc/nologin is a very bad idea....
and will create more unexplainable machine behaviour

first test might be just remove /etc/nologin.boot ( if its empty )
- its probably the flag to say recreate the /etc/nologin file...

be sure to run e2fsck or equiv during single user mode to make sure
that logins was not disable for a valid reason

c ya
alvin