Re: linux & Pacbell DSL (CA only)

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> My friend down the road has DSL at her home now. Here computer was just
> upgraded with debian stable (dualboot with winyuck98). I installed the DSL
> modem and it syncs, so is ready to go.
>
> My question is this; Does she have to use the CDrom that comes with the
> PacBell kit or can we use pure debian for the VERY FIRST LOGIN? If so, how
> shall we go about it? Seems like it would be really neat if we can do this M$
> free.
>
> Thanks all

Jaye, you don't say if she has Basic or Enhanced DSL. I presume Basic since there
is no login with Enhanced; the packets are already flowing to the static ip
addresses.

But even with Basic, you don't need to resort to Windows to start up. Check out
this info about Basic DSL setup: http://dialup.pacbell.net/dsl/linux.html. The
version of PPPoE in the Debian archives is out of date (or was; haven't looked
lately), so you'll want to get the latest from Roaring Penguin. (If you don't,
for unclear reasons there are problems with ipchains. You *are* setting up a
firewall for her, I hope. ;-)

However, if she ever has problems with the connection and tries to work through
the troubleshooting process with tech support, they won't even begin without a
Windoze box. That is their protocol, like it or not. So you can't entirely escape
M$.

HTH. Good luck!

Stan