Re: opera

--On Friday, May 18, 2001 10:06 PM -0400 Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com> wrote:

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 08:42:15PM -0500, Dana J . Laude wrote:
Actually, it's all configurable.  Ya just got to play with
the settings.  Personally after you get the hang of things
it's not bad for free.  I don't even pay attention to the
banner ads. <g>

It's all configurable... except for the toolbar with the ads which is
the biggest and most annoying one.  I played with it for a while but
couldn't come up with a configuration I liked.

Besides, it's not free in any sense of the word, unless you consider
closed source software shoving ads down your throat "free".  I see no
point in using that browser on a Debian system.  I'll stick with the
truly free browsers, thank you.

You know, I'm in favor of truly free stuff (speech and beer) as much as the next guy. But I *paid* for the no-ad version of Opera while it was still beta-7. Right now, on my Debian, RH and Windows machines, it works better than Netscape/Konqi/Moz. Now I do use other browsers (Netscape under windows, Konqi as much as possible under Linux/Solaris), but opera is really fast, stable, and compliant.

And I refuse to begrudge them the right to make money on there product. This holy war of "either it's free or it's crap" doesn't help anyone. It's a good browser. It costs money (if you want no ads). Move on.

Chris