RE: Shutdown/switching computer power off automatically ?

That's because Linux-Mandrake has a different focus to Debian GNU/Linux
(just look at their names).

Mandrake's focus is to have as many things working out of the box for most
users, even if it breaks some users systems completely or causes minor
security holes, etc.

AFAIK APM can cause some machines to hang on boot-up.

Debian does not enable it by default as the Debian guys would like Debian to
*work* on as many hardware configurations as possible out of the box.

Mandrake enables it by default, because they want as many *features* working
on *standard* hardware as possible out of the box.

CAUTION

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you have received this e-mail in error you must (a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it; (b) please notify Australia Post immediately by return e-mail to the sender; and (c) please delete the original e-mail.