Re: Debian samba 2.2.0

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 04:38:18PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:19:40PM +0800, Lindsay Allen wrote:
> >

> > I installed samba_2.2.0.final-2.deb but ran into a problem.  Profile
> >
> > Can ayone please either confirm or deny that they are having the same
> > problem so that I know where to start looking.
> >
> > And has anyone got samba debs for potato?
>
> i've got potato and did "apt-get install samba" and it installed,
> no problem.
>
> executing was the problem. it started making tcpd clone itself
> (very slowly -- five in one day) while eating up 98% of all cpu
> attention.
>
> luckily "apt-get --purge remove samba-common" worked pretty well,
> too.
>
> so my windows users still get to use ftp until i understand
> (which is unlikely, as i don't speak the brogue that the samba
> docs are written in).

You're probably running samba from inetd, that isn't a recommended config.
Try running as daemons.

You also need to know if your windows boxen use a NT Domain.

Each user needs an account on your box, or allow all shares guest access.  I
use guest only on a zip disk sharing comp.  Specific users on the file
server...

Mike