Re: removal catch-22

>When all else fails, do it manually.
>You can edit the entry for the package out of /var/lib/dpkg/status,
>then use the info in /var/lib/dpkg/info/<package-name>.list to rm the
>files in the package.  You'll also want to check for anything done by
>the {pre,post}{inst,rm} scripts in the info dir.  Best to keep this
>method as a last resort.

And cautiously he went where he had never been before. There wasn't much
too it, but still....

Your hint and common sense while editing the status file helped and all
seems to be right. I had to remove /etc/init.d/irmanager and do an
'update-rc.d irmanager remove'. The docs were already removed. Thanks for
the help. I understand and appreciate Debian GNU/Linux a little more now.
--Hans