Re: FW: Sendmail

How are you trying to "start sendmail"? If you are just trying
"sendmail" as root, you're not starting the daemon up to listen for
incoming mail, you're invoking the sendmail program as if you want to
create a message. Try (as root) "/etc/init.d/sendmail start" and see
what you get.

Sendmail is a bear to set up at first. It's a great MTA, very capable,
but can be a bit intimidating to configure. If your needs on the box are
fairly simple, you may want to consider using exim instead.

As something else to consider: Do you need to receive mail on that box?
For most of my machines, I have absolutely no need to receive email
directly on the machine. The only machines I run sendmail on are those
that are actual mail servers (those that are either receiving email for
my domains or those that are relaying mail for my clients). The rest of
my servers need to be able to send email (so that daemons can send error
messages to me, and stuff like that). For all those servers, I run Exim
setup to use a mail server as a smarthost. Most importantly, I remove
exim from inetd.conf, so that they're never used to relay mail.

--Rich

Peter Donaldson wrote:

> I tried sendmailconfig but still i am having the same problem. I also can
> not receive mail through that box :(

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.