Re: keyboard problem

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Glenn Becker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am experiencing an odd problem with the keyboard -- specifically the arrow
> keys, it seems. Seems to be X-specific. In short, the keys don't
> "repeat" ... you have to strike the down arrow key, for example, 5 times
> to go down 5 lines rather than being able to simply hold the key down and
> let the cursor do the walking ...
>
> I guess this is in the realm of the annoying rather than life-threatening,
> but it does involve more wear and tear both on the keyboard and on the
> trusty carpals. I'm guessing from prior experience that this will involve
> using xmodmap ... probably xmodmap -e [something] but I'm lost as to what
> the [something] should be.
>
> If anyone has a quick answer for this or can point me to a reference,
> thanks in advance. I may have missed a thread on this - sorry if so, work
> has been nuts.

you could try

$ xset r on

some games (eg quake2) turn key repeating off and if it crashes,
repeating doesn't get turned on again.

Today people in droves hurry up past Heumoz to Villars
on the road to the ski hills, so they can rush down them
as fast as possible, so they can hurry up again in order
to rush down again.  In a way this is funny,...

			Francis A Schaeffer

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/
dcpurton@chariot.net.au