problem installing i810 motherboard

Hi,

I am trying to install linux on my system which already has Windows 98. I
got linux installed (not the X Window) but it doesnt recognize my video
card. I have a Intel 810 motherboard with integrated sound and video card. I
found this link
 http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/i810intel.html ) which
explains installing the hardware. As per the article i downloaded the
required driver, But I downloaded it using Windows.

Now I have the following questions.

1. The article says I need Xfree86 already installed. I used dselect to
intall it through the debian website. In the midst of the installation it
says unable to make XF86Config file. Press enter to switch to graphical
mode. On pressing enter the screens blanks out and then starts giving error
( error code-111). I have to press ctr+alt+del to get  back into the system.

2. The article requires glibc 2.1 to be present. What is it and how do I
install it.

3. How do I access the driver which I have downloaded under windows.

4. The article mentions a command which goes like
rpm -i/path/to/I810Gtt-0.2-4.src.rpm However on typing the command on the
prompt says that command not found. I tried "man prm" but with no help. Am I
missing any any specific package?

I am very new to linux and hence have numerous unanswered question. Please
excuse if these questions are too kiddish.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rahul