Re: corrupted partition table

	Subject: corrupted partition table
	Date: Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 09:49:20AM -0400

Quoting Benjamin Black(bhb8@columbia.edu):
> hi everyone.
>
> a few days ago, my partition tables were fine.  proof of fact: i
> installed the new kernel-image-2.4.3-686 that was uploaded a few days
> ago into my boot sector, and lilo did not complain; i am now running
> that image.  today, i was trying to set up my cd writer, so i added
> append="hdd=ide-scsi" to lilo.conf, but now when i run lilo, i got this:
>
> Warning: current root is not on the first disk
> Device 0x0340: Invalid partition table, 2nd entry
>   3D address:     1/0/128 (129024)
>   Linear address: 1/0/2040 (2056320)
>
> so i ran fdisk on my two drives, and this is what i see:
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 19590 cylinders
>
> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

/----<snip>-- fdisk output --\

I upgraded from Debian packaged 2.4.2 kernel/headers to a kernel.org 2.4.3 and
now a 2.4.4 kernel.  Due to space limitations, I removed the deb
kernel/header packages when I went to 2.4.3 because the deb package
wasn't available at the time.

I have not seen any problems such as you describe.  In fact, I find
both 2.4.3 and 2.4.4 to be quite stable.  This is on 2 potato systems,
K6-200 and Athalon-1Ghz.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
"You can't make a program without broken egos."