Re: Is PostgreSQL 7.1 in Sid broken??

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 12:52:34PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> John Foster wrote:
>   >Is PostgreSQL 7.1 in Sid broken?? Just as I said... I tried 4 times to
>   >install it. I even removed all--AND I MEAN ALL--of anything to do with
>   >prior versions and attempted a fresh install. This is on a almost
>   >complete Sid system. It craters out immediately after asking what the
>   >default lang is to be (SQL_ASCII) pick from menu in the dpkg configure
>   >script.
>
> Please send a transcript of that part of the session.  (You can use
> script to capture everything that goes to the screen into a file, or
> you can cut and paste with the mouse.)  Make sure your message specifies
> the exact version number, including the Debian release number -- 7.1release-2
> was uploaded last night and it is important to make sure the maintainer
> is looking at the right version of the packaging.

I had problems with PostgreSQL 7.1 in Sid at this very point and now it
seems to be working.  Sorry I didn't save the transcript, but the problem
for me was where the postinst script was creating /var/lib/postgres/.profile:
this .profile attempts to source /etc/postgresql/postmaster.env --
but this file didn't exist!  However, /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env
*did* exist.  So maybe I did something bad... but I symlinked
the missing file to the existing one.  It proceeded with the install
and didn't complain! ;-)

HTH,
--Tim
Timothy Burt
Duke University, Dept. of Physics		      204 FEL
Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305, USA          tburt@phy.duke.edu